Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Ack! Technical difficulties...

(This is the 5th time I've tried to republish this post. Hopefully, this time it will work.)

It's been a while since my last post but I've had a busy couple of months. Here's a quick recap:

In May I had my last Taekwondo belt test. It was an all-day affair consisting of a written exam, forms, punching/blocking/kicking combinations, self-defense techniques, and finally the infamous board break. The break that was required for this particular belt level was a jump-flying-sidekick! And yes, it is as hard as it sounds, especially for someone like me who can barely get my feet to lift off the ground by even two inches. I basically had to start at one end of the studio, run down a length of maybe 15 feet, jump and sail over the stack of aerobic steps, and break the board at the end. In the picture below, I am sizing up the board which is being held by 2 blackbelts.
















Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of me actually breaking the board, since the photographer didn't press the button on time, but you'll just have to take my word for it. ;) After passing the belt test, I received my red belt, which means 2 more tests until a black belt.

In June, I took a week off from work and went off to Vegas and LA with a bunch of friends. Vegas was tons of fun. Our typical day consisted of getting up at noon, laying out by the Venetian pool (where we stayed), stuffing ourselves silly at the buffet, playing (or in my case watching) at the black-jack tables, then hitting up the clubs at night. Here's a pic of me and my friend with our "blue steel" look.


We didn't get to do too much in LA since we were there for only a few days but we did check out Hermosa beach, K-town, and Six Flags and also got to help my boyfriend's sister's boyfriend move apartments. Unfortunately, I didnt' have enough time to meet up with Jeff and Yao in Westwood (sorry guys!) .

In July, I moved to a new apartment that is closer to school and also quit my job and went down to Hawaii to vacation for 10 days. It was my first time there and it was as beautiful as everyone says it is. I stayed on the island of Oahu and spent my days either on the beach, or hiking, or shopping. (This picture was taken along one of the beaches on the Eastern shore.)

I must say though, my favorite part of the trip was the food. Not only was the local Hawaiian food delicious, but so was all the other Asian cuisines (Chinese, Japanese, Filipino, etc.) I highly recommend the shaved ice from the Waiola store as well if any of you are ever in the area.

Well, now it's the end of August and I just started school yesterday. Everyone is super nice and friendly and not as dorky as I imagined (it is MIT you know...) =p I did find out that we have students in the class with funny names like Thor, Ben Hur, and Austin Martin (everyone calls him Aston Martin). Well, I hope everyone had a great summer! Let me know what you've been up to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home