Sunday, April 17, 2005

2nd Post

Gang,

This is remarkable. The simple act of getting this thing to post was nothing short of miraculous. Now, for some of you, this is second nature, but I lost about 45 mins worth of editing in this posting page, after hitting the spell check button. Not even the back button could retrieve the three paragraphs worth of writing. I was subsequently advised to do my editting in Word and when it comes to any additional injects, contact Jeff.

Talking to Alice and Emily this morning, I haven't the foggiest idea how people actually find the time to contribute to Bee Logs. That's what I've been calling them. I mean I barely have enough time to crawl into Bed when I get home.

For those that haven't kept up since I finished UG about 8 years ago, I'm still in the Army. I probably could have gotten out a year or so ago, but I'm still in the service. People, and let me qualify by saying those people are senior folks in the military, especially in the Army, have always recommended that I wait until finishing command before deciding whether to stay or go. Well, here I am on my second command assignment as the commanding officer for a military intelligence company. They, same type of people, also say that it's the best job in the service; that's there's no other job in the world where you get to be king or queen. While the things that these people say may be true, my only comment to this is that it's exhaustive work.

Now, where do exhausted folks find relief? From what I've been told, they go to places like BLOG and write about their experiences, thoughts, and feelings. For others, they go work out. For me, BLOGs would incur more reading and writing ontop of the mountainous paperwork that I have to deal with on a daily basis. As for working out, that too is already part of our mandatory daily lifestyle in the Army. For me, I've found my escapism through rediscovering scuba diving in the past year. More particularly, technical diving. I've got a link that I'll connect you too, if and when I'm able to get Jeff's technical assist!
http://harryh97.fotofinity.com/ Let's see if this works...

OK, I think I'm sticking with Bruce's technique and trying to cap the limit on each post to reduce eye strain, and in off chance that this post gets wiped out again.

Harry

3 Comments:

Blogger Jeff Yang said...

Wow, what is that clam thing that is jumping around?

4/17/2005 11:52 PM  
Blogger Harry said...

That's a Cockle (Clinocardium nuttalli), one of the larger members of the clam or bivalve family found here on the west coast. Starfishes normally pry them open. So I just lend a hand by placing them ontop of the cockle to see the large foot expode out of the clam as it tries to escape.

A little more about the cockle...

Cockles are found from the Bering Sea to California. Their shells are medium size, slightly higher than long, somewhat triangular in shape. They are easily recognized by the prominent, radiating, ribs which originate at the hinge line and fan out to the outer shell margin and are evenly spaced on the exterior of the shell. The shells, which are light brown, completely close. Cockles have short siphons and, therefore, are rarely buried more than an inch or two in the substrate. Shallowly buried, they are easily harvested by sport diggers at low tide who pick them from the surface by hand or with a garden rake. They inhabit sand and mud beaches intertidally and subtidally to 50-60 feet. They have never been observed in large concentrations in Puget Sound, but are common and widespread. The cockle has a powerful muscular foot, which gives it a high degree of mobility. They have been observed moving along the bottom by springing with the foot. Each hop can cover two to three feet. They frequently enter the commercial harvest with butter and littleneck clams but are not important commercially. They spawn in the summer.

4/21/2005 7:09 PM  
Blogger Harry said...

Jeff and All,

If you think that cockle was impressive, you ought to take a look at the video that I took of a 10ft six-gill shark. They are rarely seen in less than 300 ft of water and are the only sharks still in existence that still have the prehistoric '6' gill slits. They are generally benign and noramlly feed on smaller fish, but anything bigger than a human being is always breathtaking to see. As long as you don't become its meal!

4/21/2005 7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home